Monday, July 12, 2010

Grief

In a society of instant gratification, grief is a difficult process. There is no cure. There is no quick fix. As the days go by sorrow sinks deeper into your soul. There's nothing you can buy to make it better, nothing you can sell to make it go away. No end except death itself. The permanence is frightening.

I have written a few posts in the last week that I did not publish and will not publish. They are angry and bitter and full of self pity. While those feelings may be human and real and important -they are not helpful. I refuse to send thoughts like that in a world already full of anger and pain. I will not contribute. I can tell you I've listened to the Dixie Chicks "Not Ready to Make Nice" more than a couple times. It's my anger anthem right now.

It's been four weeks today since the boys died. This Friday would have marked 28 weeks, the point at which they would have a 95% chance of living. Four weeks. A blink in time. I have had so many "four weeks" in my life that I cannot remember a single event from. The past four weeks have been special as each day that passed would have brought me closer to a different reality.

I am figuring out for myself how I will cope with my loss. The week after the funeral I spent all my daylight hours renovating an apartment only to sit down at night and be overcome with grief. I knew then I could not continue that pattern. I could not consume myself with work and staying busy, even though it would be the easiest thing to do. I decided I will face my grief and look it in the eye. I will not wake up a year, ten years or thirty years from now and be overcome with not dealing with the death of my three boys. I've seen good people lose themselves after a tragic event and I will not be one of them. I intend to emerge stronger; it's not going to be easy and it's not going to be fun. It is a conscious effort for me to embrace the waves of pain as they crash over me. When it happens I stop what I'm doing, look at the photos, read the blog, read the messages we've been sent, read the books on grief we've been given, read other mother's stories, and sometimes just kneel down and cry. When I'm done, I'm ready to continue on with whatever it is I'm doing.

One book that has helped me tremendously is A Grace Disguised by Jerry Sittser, given to me from friends who lost their mother to ALS. While it hits on so many important topics regarding loss there is one line I keep coming back to. The author writes, "Sorrow enlarges the soul until the soul is capable of mourning and rejoicing simultaneously, of feeling the world's pain and hoping for the world's healing at the same time. However painful, sorrow is good for the soul." The grieving I'm going through now is enlarging my soul. It is stretching my limits. It is changing me. I vividly remember the physical pain of growing larger with the triplets (going from wearing my normal jeans and a belt to measuring 38 weeks pregnant in just 11 weeks is painful). I remember my skin feeling like it was going to crack open, my muscles ripping apart, my ligaments stretching thin. Like each day of growing triplets, expanding the soul is challenging and painful.

I take grieving very seriously not only because of the reasons I mentioned above, but also because I know I will never forget what happened. It's not likely that Aaron and I will be sitting on a porch swing in 40 years and say, "Remember that one time when we were pregnant with three boys, we delivered them alive and they all died?" "Oh geez, I totally forgot about that." Umm, yeah, not likely. I know 85 year old women who still visit the graves of their babies. While the pain may lessen and time may go on, the fact remains Aaron and I have three boys that are not with our family. They are real. They have Mayo Clinic #'s, they have a birth and death certificates, they breathed the same air as us, their hearts beat on this earth. The reality of that will not go away - ever. So - dealing with our reality is vitally important.

Despite the challenge grief has presented, it also provided a new clarity; my world right now is simple and calm and amazing. Although I'm not sure where my future is headed, my thoughts are still clear and my perspective healthy.

7 comments:

  1. I thought about you today as I was reading a CaringBridge site. A young mother lost her daughter a year ago to a condition where the internal organs grow outside. She was blessed to be expecting again only to have her son become an angel a few days ago. Almost to the day a year later. Anyhow, I know you are swamped with your own thoughts and feelings and work and family but maybe thought when you have time you would like to read her story. For some reason I just feel there is something you two can share with each other. http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/babyhouk/journal

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been thinking of you so much lately! I am glad you had the chance to read the book. Today we spent the day going through Josh's moms things and even now, two years later, there is still a tremendous sense of loss. We love you and are praying for you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kelly you are in my thoughts and prayers. Grieving is a process that I believe God gives us to aid our healing after such great loss. Hang in there and allow yourself to grieve. Thank you for sharing your thoughts and feelings along this journey. Your family and friends are with you and are there for you. Don't be afraid to lean on us.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was walking by your house just yesterday thinking about you guys. I love that line that you quoted from the book. I have probably read it 10 times & then out loud to my co-workers ... so very true! You are such a strong and beautiful woman! God will help guide you through the rough waters and your friends/family will always be here for you to lean on! Call me if you ever need company :)

    xoxo - Robin

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kellie, Aaron & John,

    Although we do not know each other I want to express my deepest sympathy to your family.

    Many years ago I went through delivery of a baby (gender or name unknown - not allowed by the fiance at that time). I to this day think of many things (what would've the child - almost grown adult now - looked like?, what would've he or she liked to do?) To this day I continue to deal with the greif as it comes and goes. While the grief has lessened significantly; I still think about the young man or woman that I would've been able to call my child. However, I do know that it was God's plan to take that child to be with Him and that He needed him/her more than I did. Grief is a continous process that you deal with all of your life. You are correct; you will never sit on the porch and remember all of a sudden; it will be something that will be a part of you forever. However, you can know that you can find peace and live a normal life.

    My husband and I (not the person I was engadged to at the time of the loss) have twin boys who will be 4 in September and they are truly one of Gods miracles as it took us 3 years to get pregnant with them.

    I wish you and your family all the peace in the world and hopefully another child or two in your future.

    May God's smile shine on your face and his hands hold your heart close to his.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kellie...YOU are amazing. Thinking of you, Aaron & John

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm not sure if you check this blog anymore, but I must tell you what a blessing your words have been to me. Three weeks ago and one day I gave birth to our triplet angels. We have two boys and a girl in heaven by the names of Nolan David, Brantley Reese and Amelia grace. They were born at 22w 4d.

    Your blog on grief has helped me so much! It is so good to know that the way I'm feeling is ok.

    Christina

    ReplyDelete