Monday, August 9, 2010

Weighty Matters

Weight has been on my mind a lot lately. Not just my weight (more on that in a second) but the boy's weights. I finally had the nerve to look at how big the boys were measuring. On average, a single baby at 23 weeks weighs 501 grams (1.1 lb). My three boys at 23 weeks weighed 575grams, 630grams, and 610 grams putting them in the 24 to 25 week weight category. I'm pretty impressed with those numbers and I worked hard to get them there. They were right where they needed to be and doing so well. There's a reason they all weighted so much...

Starting at 12 weeks I was strongly encouraged to gain 30 pounds by 20 weeks. Translation, I gained 30 pounds in 8 weeks. The theory behind this is to get the babies as big as possible as soon as possible because 1) they are born on average at 32 weeks and 2) by the time a mother with triplets is 28 weeks there isn't a lot of room left to eat. The bible on multiple pregnancy nutrition was written by Barbara Luke and is frequently referenced by the Mayo Clinic's multiples booklet. I used that as my guide and aimed for 4,000 calories a day to make this happen. How do you eat 4,000 calories a day? Well, it's not as fun as it sounds. With that many babies inside it actually hurts. I would of course eat the fun stuff like rib eye, ice cream, biscuits and gravy, etc. but would also have to supplement with high calorie/protein drinks like Ensure and fruit/veg smoothies for extra calories and nutrients. In addition to the food I would drink a minimum of a gallon of water per day.

There was not a lot I could do in the area of physical activity. My doctor encouraged me wade in the pool to prevent fluid retention, which I did, but the rest of the time I was supposed to be taking it easy. I was also instructed, via the multiples bible, to lay down at least 4 hours during the day and also after dinner until bed (which would take weight off the cervix). I would usually make it until noon or 1:00 and then nap all afternoon, wake up, eat and lay on the couch all evening and then go to bed. I really only had about 4 hours a day when I was productive, 8am to 12pm. I remember thinking at the time, how is it physically possible to be awake all day! At 20 weeks I was no longer supposed to pick up anything heavier than a gallon of milk. All of this inactivity lead to a lot of muscle loss. I estimate a minimum of ten pounds...putting my real weight gain at closer to 40 pounds. At 23 weeks with my first pregnancy I had only gained about 7 pounds.

During birth I lost about 12 pounds (three separate placentas took up a lot of space and weight). I gained back about five pounds, likely because my metabolism is shot and I have a lot of muscle to gain back. So, here I am. Twenty three pounds over weight, out of shape and no babies to nurse. Okay, I promised no pity parties but come on girls - you've got to understand the frustration. I've been eating healthy and working out. My weight has not budged one pound. I realize it takes time, but I feel like I really don't have a lot of time.

The comfort in all of this is knowing I did everything in my control. I did what the doctors told me, gained the weight and sat around. I have no regrets and can't look back and say, "well, maybe if I had gained the weight things would be different..."

It's difficult to deal with loss emotionally, but the loss of a baby adds an additional layer - the physical evidence you cannot get a break from. The physical evidence is a constant reminder of what has happened. I am very fortunate to be healthy and realize there are bigger problems in the world than being 20 pounds overweight. But for right now, whining about my struggle is justified. This weight loss has very little to do with fitting into my favorite jeans.

2 comments:

  1. hang in there kellie! it is never easy, but it's always worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Getting back into shape is never fun or easy BUT you really do look good ... seriously! Saw you out the day & mentioned that to you. You will get back to that place you want to be because you are one determined lady!

    ReplyDelete